View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Originally Posted by Wilting View Post
People always say to me "ride it out, it will pass" but I feel as though I have been riding for so long that my proverbial soul is saddle sore, and the horse is dying. I won't quit yet though. I can't.
Bless you Wilting :ghug3

What you have described is practically identical to the reasons I drank. I have been sober a little over a year now and the 'riding it out' idea seemed a bit ridiculous to me too. Hating myself and doubting everything I do seems to be my base line. I have ups and downs around that but that seems to be the most common feeling I have. But giving up drinking gave me so much hope and a sense of pride I have never had before. I had faith in the people here and the support I received and I believed them when they said it gets better. It actually does But it was less to do with feeling better so I didn't drink and more to do with knowing I can feel bad and not drink, and then I feel good about that, if that makes any sense. I honestly believe that being happy is a skill we have to learn. Start focussing on any good stuff in your life, what are your strengths, what have you done well (those 75 days for a start!). But give up drinking first, and try and ride it out without drinking, the more you do that the more you will realise that the way you feel does not have to dictate the way you act. And working on the way you feel is something you can do separately to the drinking thing. Remember, focus on the positive stuff for now xxx