Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
On the other hand, could it be that I am feeding the beast with substitutes for alcohol, like cycling, physical exercise, enjoyment from work and family life or intellectual progress? Perhaps the beast can't distinguish between alcoholic "pleasure" and normal pleasure from life?
With AVRT, the Beast is an maladaptive desire for alcohol/drugs and nothing but. The desire is healthy, the maladaption is not good for us because alcohol/drugs can kill us dead, wreck our lives, etc. All other human desires have nothing remarkable whatever to do with AVRT, and the Beast will only be satisfied with alcohol/drugs.

Originally Posted by Geralt
Also the problem I have with RR/AVRT is that is doesn't treat alcoholism like a disease, while most scientific evidence (genetic tests, twin studies, brain scans) qualifies it as a disease. Couldn't it be possible that after a 1-2 year, my brain starts making a new neurological network using different connections (the old alcoholic one stays intact, buried in the long term memory and is activated by drinking - therefore the tolerance and kindling)?
In this thread, we don't really want to get side-tracked about whatever problem we might or might not have philosophically/scientifically with AVRT. For AVRT, Addictive Voice is the sole cause of the addiction, and once the AV is discovered and dismissed, so ends the addiction. Period.

This thread does enjoy our sharing of our experiences while practicing AVRT and (perhaps) other supports and or programs, as long as we don't get into soap-boxing for one way over another. I'm not big on promoting whatever.

FWIW, I am a recovered alcoholic drug addict. I happily "do" AA and AVRT no problemo, and have done so successfully for decades now.