Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Geralt
Argonaut

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Welcome to the conversation, Geralt!

Since you're asking, it sounds to me like you're kinda reasoning with your AV, and if so, that is not a great idea for a few reasons.

Rational conversations with our AV invites more of the same ie longer, more complicated, more intellectual etc. As well, IT (the Beast) also has feelings, and so IT's feelings can come into play in subtle ways which can gain an emotional response from YOU, and it could be difficult to process all that and still be indifferent to the AV.

Using "IT" to reference your AV/Beast is a simple way to reduce confusion since IT objectifies your AV/Beast and all the while YOU are safely yourself as "I" "ME" etc

Does that suggest anything?
Thanks Robby,

That's why I asked the question, as I know that starting a conversation with the AV is not smart according to AVRT. But it's not really a conversation, I just use the same 3 arguments, more like a prayer or a mantra but using logic.

And I noticed that over the last couple of months these "conversations" have become less frequent, shorter and actually less intellectual as my answer is always the same. To use the beast analogy, the growls are weakening.

On the other hand, could it be that I am feeding the beast with substitutes for alcohol, like cycling, physical exercise, enjoyment from work and family life or intellectual progress? Perhaps the beast can't distinguish between alcoholic "pleasure" and normal pleasure from life?

Also the problem I have with RR/AVRT is that is doesn't treat alcoholism like a disease, while most scientific evidence (genetic tests, twin studies, brain scans) qualifies it as a disease. Couldn't it be possible that after a 1-2 year, my brain starts making a new neurological network using different connections (the old alcoholic one stays intact, buried in the long term memory and is activated by drinking - therefore the tolerance and kindling)?

Edit: Wow a lot of new posts and input since I read and reacted to Robbies post, I have to run now, will read and respond tomorrow. Thanks a lot for all the reactions and input!