Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Hey guys, can I join this discussion?

I kinda almost have given up on SR till I found these Secular Forums.

I like the idea that jkb proposes a lot. I use a similar logic/scientific argument against any thoughts about drinking.

My 3 point anti-alcoholism mantra:

- Alcoholism is progressive. I can never go back to a previous stage, like moderate drinking.
- Tolerance is forever. No matter how long I will quit, I will be back at the same drinking amount within days.
- The effect of kindling makes every withdrawal worse, till the stage of delirium tremens and possible death.

Those three arguments exclude any rational and logical possibility to pick up a drink, for the rest of my life. I love science and logic and if I started drinking again, it would be like writing down 2+2=3 and claiming that this is true.
I am only 1,5 year sober now, but I have the feeling that slowly some kind of switch has been turned. I know that I am powerless over alcohol ONCE I take that first drink, but as long as I don't do that, I am the one who has the power and control over not-drinking.

It's a bit against AVRT, but when I get thoughts about drinking, I just counter these thoughts with those 3 points mentioned above.

For example: I am invited to a party, perhaps I should have one to relax (AV)? Counter: No you can't have one, because of the tolerance one will not be enough. Once you take one or more, you will end up binge drinking for days as your alcoholism already progressed that far. Then it's either binge drinking till death or facing another horrible withdrawal because of the kindling effect. Conclusion: I can't drink, so STFU AV

Do you guys think that's a valid way of thinking, or are there some kind of traps in this logic that I'm missing?
Hi glad you came to the thread. The two points in bold... I use those constantly.

As to how you handle your AV... well, its been working for you for a year and a half...."the proof is in the pudding" as my mom used to say. Others will come along and point out the AV in it if there is any.

Again glad you stopped by... Jess