Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
jkb

I love this thread. My Monday is Saturday (as far as work week) so I get to come in and catch up with whats been going on. I agree so much with Robby's post that of-course my free will could destroy my BP if I were to make that choice..(sorry to paraphrase Robby but, would have been a long quote...lol). However, I have found that the choice to drink becomes more and more "irrational" if I must, and my BP more difficult to break as time moves on. I have found thoughts of drinking to be coupled and countered quite quickly with thoughts of "that is a very stupid idea". I am not calling anyone stupid but, I do call my own thoughts of drinking "stupid".
What I find that I really love about RR (not Robby Robot but Rational Recovery... hee, hee) is that it is so simple. I love that the choice is made and I now live my life as a non-drinker. The rest I find is falling into place.
Soberlicious( I think it was you), you make an excellent point as well when you speak of "learned helplessness" in your previous post. I feel it does do a huge injustice to certain types of people. When asked recently "how did you quit drinking" by my brother I answered "well my first step was to no longer drink for any reason" he said "oh well I cant do that". I am so new at sobriety and RR that my only response was to send him a copy of the book but, I thought that was a very sad way to think and I am sooo glad I no longer think that way... but that is just me.
Jess