Thread: new to all this
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
773niki

Unfortunately, he needs to want to quit and get help for himself, for real, or else you can't and shouldn't be in his life right now. It's tough. I'm the alcoholic in my relationship (I'm the girl) and my boyfriend got soooooooooo sick of me lying and drinking. Lucky for me, he did stick by my side and I'm sober 4 months now, but we have ALOT of issues and trust is the #1 thing I lost. We're working on it. But I'm 31, he's 34 and we are living together.

Not sure how old you are, but if you're in love, for real, you can try to talk some sense into him, try to get him to go on this website, but the bottom line is - no one will quit until they are ready. I've tried 100s of times and not once did it stick until I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. It's not easy.

I wouldn't necessarily abandon him - but have zero expectations. Don't let him be #1 in your life...and when he's ready to get help, hopefully you'll still be in a position to want to help him. But, don't wait for him to change and put your life on hold. It doesn't work that way. Focus on you and your life...

Good luck!