Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
redatlanta

IMO an alcoholic ends up down the same road every time even if their drinking seems to be more controlled or they stop for periods of time. When they binge that is when you see the uncontrolled - ending up in a DUI, an accident, a fight, a blackout etc. May see a period of time weeks or months without drinking and then when it happens again some kind of disaster strikes.

Like when you went out of town and AH boozed all weekend - you came home to a house destroyed and dog poop inside among other things.

The problem drinker I think I have seen that too. Might have even been considered one in my younger days when I made poor choices based on drinking but they weren't devastating. And then as I matured i just lost interest in partying my focus went elsewhere - I got to where it just wasn't enjoyable. It wasn't important. Now, if someone told me I would never have another drink for the rest of my life, I wouldn't even blink - I don't care.

I guess given the magnitude of the problems caused by your husband's drinking, and his decision to continue to do so, and continue to have it cause problems says to me he is beyond a problem drinker and is an A.

I use rational vs. irrational as a metric as well. To continue to risk marriage, job and further legal trouble says this guy is not rational - there is not anything logical about how he handles alcohol.