Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Audrey1

Originally Posted by dancingnow View Post
It seems to me that recovery should move beyond resorting to more than obtaining something sweet when cravings arise, especially if the cravings get really bad for a few days.
I would have thought the same as you about substituting cravings, but my partner was advised by his therapist to do something similar-take a shot of sugar water if he had a craving. Seemed weird to me...

Anyway, I don't think he has done that, but his pockets are always full of chocolate bar wrappers now. I was hoping he would ween himself off them with time, but he's stopped drinking only a few months ago and your husband stopped almost a year ago so I guess I shouldn't hold out much hope!

I actually work with a guy who had such a sugar addiction (though he wasn't an alcoholic) that he would literally eat whole, full-sized cakes at a time. He couldn't stop himself. It was even affecting his work and home life. One day, he just quit. Like an alcoholic, he can't take a single bite or he relapses, so he abstains completely (or at least as much as he can considering there's a lot of hidden sugar in foods). I guess this proves all addictions are powerful.

Considering there's an awful lot of sugar in alcohol, I wonder whether there is a link there between sugar addicts and alcoholics...