View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Audrey1

I was thinking about something similar today. After fearing confrontation for a lot of my life, a few years ago I finally found my voice. I started to recognise the situations where I needed to speak up (even just recognising them was a big step for me!), and have stood up for myself several times since, even with people who I had let get away with absolute murder for years and years beforehand. Believe it or not, by calmly and rationally vocalising my position on the matter, I was very pleased to see that it gave these people the kick in the pants to realise they couldn't get away with it anymore.

Obviously not all people are the same, so I did find myself faced with an even bigger demon when I stood up to a very unhinged character at one point, but almost every other time I have received sheepish apologies and better treatment. I should clarify that I am speaking only of non-alcoholics as we all know how confrontation ends up with them. Come to think of it, the aforementioned "unhinged character" was most likely an alcoholic in retrospect.

I am hoping this will be the case with you, and that your neighbour now knows where you both stand. As Peanut says, maybe he needs some time to think about it and this could be the turning point where he stops being the neighbour from hell.

Good luck!