Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble
I don't really know much about AA other than what I've learned on SR and at the couple meetings I attended early on.
I have a great deal of experience with the program in all its forms, as I was indoctrinated fairly young (probably 9ish years old) into alateen. I've attended alanon and AA on and off for many years, and have understood and worked the steps several times, in different ways...back to basics, in treatment, with a sponsor, on my own, the woman's way...I even ran an alateen group as a young adult. Also breifly attended the NA fellowship as well. I have very dear friends and family members who have been very successful with the program. I have also been close to countless others for whom the paradigm was not only ineffective, but detrimental. If someone is successfully working the program, they don't need any other input. They are having the desired results. It is when they are not having success, that is when some pretty hairy stuff begins to raise it's head.

I am not about one vs. the other. Never have been. I am about education and options. I am about helping the addicted reframe their thinking about themselves as capable. I actually do see learned helplessness as a real problem in the area of addiction recovery. That is not a "dis". That is not grinding an ax. That is not me being a big fat meanie pants. That is a well informed, albiet personal, opinion. I have no problem stating it.