Old 03-06-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dancingnow

RAH cravings for sweets and where that fits in length of recovery

When my RAH was still actively drinking but going to counseling to help him maintain sobriety he was advised to try substituting eating something sweet to combat cravings. Apparently that worked for him and in that beginning time of stopping drinking he would often stop at DD for a coffee roll, mid morning or afternoon.

In the beginning he was having one every morning and sometimes afternoons too and then that tapered off to once in a while. Periodically though he will go through a few days or a week where he seems to have to have a coffee roll everyday.

I am just wondering if the times when his cravings are at a high are indications that he might succumb to relapse. It might be my imagination but it seems at these times is when I am most disappointed with his attitude and interactions with me. Although he puts a lot of effort into controlling cravings, I would like to blame his sometimes poor attitude on the minimal effort he puts into embracing AA concepts.

It seems to me that recovery should move beyond resorting to more than obtaining something sweet when cravings arise, especially if the cravings get really bad for a few days.

He is close to a year of abstaining from alcohol, goes weekly to 1 or 2 AA meetings. Claims he is "recovered" but will rephrase that to recovering when I remind him that recovery doesn't just happen.

Just wondering if others have any experience regarding this as I want to see things differently and not let myself be judgemental of the way RAH seeks and maintains sobriety. I am also wondering if I am in denial about how my RAH was drinking for most of our marriage and I don't know or really like the person he is now or hoping that after more time of abstaining and controlling cravings, enough of his AA meetings will sink in that his attitudes will change and cravings won't be so bad.

Thanks for any sharing on this.