View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 01:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
I'll take a shot: Because in your case it's a completely irrational thought?
So,the beast has in some way altered my ability to have rational thoughts about certain things? Certainly a possibility, but it doesn't seem right. The beast having power to impact my ability to have normal thoughts seems to contradict the basis of Rational Recovery, which I interpret to be based on the premise that my regular human brain (neo cortex) can use it's ability to be rational and intellectual to keep the irrational, pleasure-seeking beast brain (cerebellum) in check. If the beast has the ability to alter the way the neo cortex thinks, then it seems the whole program becomes suspect.

We're also dealing with nuances. There's a fine line between thinking a drink looks tasty and thinking about drinking that drink. You touched on this when you said you could understand how the ales would be tasty to someone else.

I am still enjoying this discussion even if Mr. Mecanix finds it without value. I am trying to determine whether I have a regular human brain PLUS a beast brain in my head, as opposed to my wife, who has just a regular human brain. OR if there is something else going on. I have found the knowledge I have gained from such discussions in the past few weeks to be empowering, so I am interested in continuing to learn. Perhaps a different example besides tastiness would be helpful?