Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by shockozulu View Post
Originally Posted by GerandTwine
I understand this to mean the whole forum, not just this thread.
GT
That is correct.
Then I think it's important to clarify AVRT in the following post?

Playing together is such a personal experience for all of us, and although I won't agree that AVRT and AA play well together, I of course totally agree they can certainly work well together. Semantics?

I really do keep both models of recovery well apart in my mind, and my actions. For example, I don't bring or otherwise discuss AVRT in any AA meeting. I do AA at AA, and my AVRT remains not hidden as such, but private and isolated. AVRT works well in this way being nothing more than a set of techniques. Keeping my AVRT behaved, lol, does not lend itself to me as a great playing partner with AA. I can just imagine me freely sharing my AVRT with AA guys and AA in general. It would not be "fun" hence I don't think they play well together.

As an example of playing well together, Christianity and AA play well together, even though it is not required one be a Christian while doing AA. Certainly if I said I was a Christian at an AA meeting, nothing much would transpire. Same as if I talked about God, no big deal either. As another example of not playing well together, God and secular don't play well together, and my recovery program is agnostic in nature, and this forum is not someplace I would talk about my Christianity either.

As for the other way around, AVRT doesn't have meetings, social gatherings, etc. It's all work and no play with AVRT, for me, anyways.

I've no problem with others perhaps thinking how my interpretations miss the suggested point that actually AVRT and AA do play well together, or others may decide I'm just being semantically uptight.

AA at least as some social enjoyments.
For instance, I would say AVRT requires no physical action at all - which means no physical work, money paid out, or hours and hours a week spent going to meetings to stay stopped one day at a time. AVRT allows all that saved effort to be used for PLAY if that's what the person chooses.

So, AVRT is much more connected to allowing a huge variety of personal PLAYtime, while the other program is hugely invasive into the rest of a person's life requiring NEVERENDING SOBRIETY WORK. Which in AVRT terms is another way of feeding the BEAST so IT is never caged and conquered.

Also, there are a lot of Christians who don't like the way some programs alter religious language and concepts. AVRT does nothing along those lines.