Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Newatthis34

Hi Lilly,

A quick disclaimer - (I too am trying to make sobriety a permanent feature of my life, but it hasn't been plain sailing as my posts have shown) I am not sober very long so take my views as those of someone who is also a novice.

I've wrestled with so many issues and diversions and red-herrings since I've edged my way towards the realisation that I needed to quit drinking for good, forever, never again. The problems I've had especially have been centred on terms or false dilemmas I've constructed in my own mind about the language of AVRT (which I do think is the 'method' that appeals to me most although I have come to think the very tight focus it has can be supplemented with other facets of other methods without compromising the integrity of its purpose). For me I now know that theoretical discussions aren't worth a s***e if I continue to drink. So in the same way that meditation for example is a practice, I've come to think of sobriety as a practice. Reading and debates are great but I know I've gotta stay sober first and foremost.

There are so many clever and helpful people around here who have myriad experiences to share, and for me reading and discussing with them has brought me to a point where I feel I can move forward with my own practice of sobriety.