Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lillylh28

Hello

Hi, I have been sober for 38 days. I give a lot of the credit to this website and a little to myself for realising what I was doing wasn't working for me. I am struggling to find a method of recovery that can give me the confidence that this thing called sobriety can be long lasting.

I got sober and stayed that way for four years with a trip to rehab and a couple of months actively in AA. After those two months the belief that I could never drink again and my life depended on it kept me that way. I didn't feel like I was "white knuckling it" because the only time I thought about alcohol was when I was thinking about how lucky I was that it was out of my life. The problem with that was that 4 years of sobriety wasn't long enough. I thought I was cured and went back to drinking. BAD decision.

AA isn't really an option for me because I know I can't commit to going to meetings with any regularity for the rest of my life. I feel like I would just be setting myself up for failure. I have been researching other methods but there are so many and I'm a little overwhelmed with the importance of making a good choice. So I haven't really commited to anything. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.