Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Carlotta
Behold the power of NO

Hi

I will try to explain how using both AVRT and AA works for me without discussing AA.
Right now, this is my second time in recovery. The first time, in 2001, I was in rehab for 42 days so basically my AV could act up all they wanted, I was in a safe sheltered environment. After my stint in rehab, I went straight to AA and remained sober for 5 years.
I am in early recovery right now (44 days) and did not go the rehab route. This means that sometimes, I will get physical cravings or thoughts which could lead to a drink. Being able to recognize the AV and debunk the beast immediately is really important for me.
I am the kind of alcoholic who completely isolate and drink alone, secretly. While I LOVE AA, the fellowship, listening and sharing experiences and laughter with others my beast wants me to be alone. My beast HATES AA so I make use of the meetings to vanquish it.
While I know that drinking is not a viable option for me anymore and that
I quit for good, when I struggle (which is rarely) being able to cut time into smaller chunks makes it easier...There is a Yoruba proverb which states:"it is bit by bit that we eat the head of the rat" sometimes when faced with something so big it freaks us out, it is a good idea to go a little bit at a time...especially important for me since I picked up after I was like F...it, whatever.
I also want quality sobriety in terms of being at peace with myself and content. The steps appeal to me and in the past, working them really helped.
There are many other methods to find inner peace and balance but I dig that approach.
AVRT and AA basically cover each other where for me (others are different) they might be lacking.

I wish I could have elaborated more but I tried to respect Rob's wish concerning this thread.