Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Booniecat

I am not sure what i am using but really am enjoying this post. The year before I decided to quit I read everything I could find on alcoholism and its treatment. This included the Big Book, RR, Ellis's books, etc... I also read a bunch of memoirs of people who quit drinking and drugging in various ways.

When I quit 16 days ago, I just quit. I am a Christian so there was lots of prayer and bible study. I am a therapist so I use a lot of RET Ellis stuff. I got tons of ideas from RR and really latched onto the addictive voice idea and how to combat it. SR helped with some of the posts on controlling urges. I haunted the SMART Recovery website for a few months and got some more tools from them.

What does that make me? I really don't know but I am sober and feeling great. Sure, I have urges but I also have urges to have affairs, run stop signs and cheat on my income tax but I don't do them. My goal is to see drinking in the same way I see immoral or criminal activities. Just not worth the pain they cause.

I am not really a meeting person and am very thankful for SR. For me it is my meetings and my support group.