Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Great thread. Thought provoking.

Let me add another big word to this discussion: bifurcated. My sense is that there are 2 parts to long term recovery from alcohol addiction:

1. Not drinking
2. Being OK with not drinking

My perspective is that AVRT gets you the first part. You tell your AV "no" and you stay sober.

But if your triggers/excuses have a deep root like previous violence in your life, traumatic event, unexpressed emotions, etc., then AVRT won't get you through the second part. Your beast has a lot of ammunition to throw at you. Even if you can fend off his attacks, you're not happy - you're just sober.

Other recovery programs seem to 'treat' these underlying triggers/excuses. They strive to make the addict more effective at dealing with emotional issues that are not otherwise being effectively dealt with. I can definitely see how that is beneficial for some addicts.

I don't consider myself to be in this category. I don't have any uncommon emotional stresses in my life. I've never been a victim of anything horrendous. I still have my job, my home, my family and my health. I didn't have much excuse to drink. I just did. Just NOT drinking is sufficient for me, for now.

Not that I am perfect, of course. I could be more organized, a better listener, exercise more, be more patient, etc. I just don't think it's anything I need external assistance and support for.

All that said, I will probably attend a meeting from time to time. I can see me being a 'blender'. I find it useful and uplifting to be in a room with others who have (a beast with) a maladaptive appetite for alcohol. I went to a meeting last Friday and a drunk man near tears admitted he wanted to stop drinking, but had no idea how. At the end of the meeting he traded the half bottle of wine he had in his coat for a white chip. It was a beautiful thing to have witnessed.