View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
crackerboy

We spent years accustoming our bodies and brains to the more or less continuous presence of alcohol. It caused physical changes in our brains that made it possible for them to cope with the alcohol (and that also increased our tolerance for it). Eventually, the changes caused us to crave alcohol when we didn't have it.

It is pretty unreasonable for me to expect my body to immediately repair damage that I caused it over a period of years. It can take up to two years for things to get back to normal. During that time we have periods of feeling better, alternating with periods of feeling somewhat worse. These tend to even out over time, with more better and less worse. The whole thing is: time takes time.

Mild exercise, good nutrition, adequate rest (right...with sick kids!) and fun are the key, along with support group meetings. Before you say, "Oh, I can't go to AA, everyone knows me!" let me tell you that I was a prominent city official when I got clean and sober, and no one said a word. In fact, I don't think anyone even noticed. If offered a drink, I'd just say "I'm not drinking tonight" and let it go. After a few weeks, I ran into one of the city councilmen at a meeting and we went for a cuppa afterward.

Recovery isn't especially easy, but it's simple.

Hang in there!

Bill