Thread: Robby's Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by fini View Post
Originally Posted by RobbyRobot
Yeah, people adding disclaimers of "see if" or "this may" doesn't cut it for me. Promotion is still promotion to my understanding.

oh but this is interesting, the different ways of understanding and meaning "see if..." and "this may..."
i use those phrases when i make suggestions, whether i myself have tried the suggestion or not. i use it when what the other person is speaking about makes me think of something that might fit with what they're talking of. not to promote it, just to show an option.

i might say to NAT"hm...the LifeRing founder has a book called "Recovery by Choice", which is full of self-exploratory exercises. you might find something useful to you in there."
and on the LR forum, when a poster speaks about battling with "the voice" that rationalizes having a drink, i sometimes say"oh, you may find AVRT a useful tool. just google the letters and see if anything there helps with "the voice".
hm...never occurred to me someone would think i was promoting something, or proselytising...sheesh!
i thought it was a respectful way to make a suggestion exactly without pushing something.
what other way could i put it?
I'm not saying using these terms "see if" and "this may" are themselves indicators of promotion. You're taken me to literal.

I'm saying when there is active promotion otherwise, simply adding or making use of those terms does not justify the promotion.