Thread: Why I am here
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
shinebright7

WhatsIt -- great to see you here. And congratulations on going to your first Al Anon meeting!

I went to my first meeting like 10 days ago and wow, I'm so glad I got the courage to show up there. Also have been to a few open AA meetings and it's just been so great. I have lots of reading materials now and finally found an Al Anon group that I really relate to and connect with. I've been to a few of them and some of them just missed the mark in terms of how they run (cross talk or no cross talk for example) and maybe it's also that I'm not crying through all of them all the time now that also makes them more enjoyable. haha

Anyway, it's great you're here and focused on what you can do to stop being codependent. I'm in the same boat with you as is everyone else here, so it's great to be in it together so we can inspire each other and learn from each other.

Loving detachment is going to be a big one for me too. I'm grateful I have this time while my husband is out of town to really get a nice foundation going in terms of my relationship with the Al Anon program. This way when he comes back I'll be more practiced in my new ways of relating to him and myself.