View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizatola

Must be doing something right(mom brag)

I'm at a tennis tournament for my 14 year old son in El Paso, TX. For those who don't know, my son has ADHD, learning disabilities, and Tourette's Syndrome. His tics have really been bad since he started going through puberty and shot up 2 inches in the past few months.

He was playing his doubles match today after winning both his singles matches and his opponents were 2 local boys whom he has played before. He likes both these boys and is amiable with them on court. My son's partner wasn't happy with my son talking to these boys during the change overs(you change sides every odd numbered game). My son and his friend pulled out the win, barely. When they were exiting the court, one of the moms came over to me and told me that my son is the nicest and most honest player she's ever seen on court. She said he's a joy to watch and that I, as a parent, must be doing something right.

Shortly therafter the other opponent's dad came over to me and said, "I love watching your son play. He is a great sportsman and obviously loves the game and is very talented. B(his son) thinks very highly of your son."

Then my son gets a text from another kid who passed on a message from their mom telling him how much of a great sportsman he is and how she appreciates his honesty.

OK: so the reason this all brings tears to my eyes is because my son has so much against him that some days I get overwhelmed just trying to get him to grasp the basics of long division still(he's 8th grade) or how to write a research paper. He has a father who's an alcoholic and has been verbally abusive to him, yet he still has a great attitude and is well-liked by others. I guess I just need gentle reminders to just keep doing the next right thing with him, and trusting that it will all work out for him in the future. He always has people rooting for him and I sometimes forget that they're there. I parent with the attitude that it's me agains the world, because that's how I've lived my life in my marriage. Until recently, obviously, I was so messed up that I couldn't see the blessings in front of my eyes, nor could I see the damage my AH had done.

I can finally see both the good and the bad, and I appreciate all the experiences I've had up to now. I try to teach my son the same. I guess I haven't screwed him up too bad, LOL. I just had to share with someone because I need to be reminded that I don't suck as a parent and a homeschooling mom. Gee, that's eye opening to me, sheesh!