View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Well, to be honest I do tend toward the naive side...I do think others usually have good intentions. It's part of my "program" if you will, to believe we are inherently good. Real life experience has shown me otherwise, but I do still try to hold fast to that belief anyway.

As far as "selling snake oil", I cannot imagine how one would possibly benefit from trying to pull the wool over another's eyes? Or why such an endeavor would even be desirable?
Yeah, real life has shown me otherwise too, but I don't hold to that belief anyways, all else being equal.

Snake-oil selling becomes desirable for whomever to satisfy their own defensive position they are on the right and worthy path in their own sans-alcohol lives. Frequent generalizations is a sure mark of such endeavors, followed by advice from the salesman to invite the audience into the so-called winning solution.

Salesman are always defensive and quick to judgement. They are also back-slappers and fans of the popular flavor of the day.

I also want to add that salesmen (persons) can truly and honestly believe in what they are selling or promoting. Belief and honesty has nothing to do with the behavior I'm talking about. Its not about integrity. Its about going beyond their experiences and into the realm of promotion.