View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Newatthis34
However I have had to admit that I do not understand the addiction I have, why I like drinking so much, what it is about my past or personality that has brought me to this point.
You do not need to understand this to quit. It is not necessary and believing that you do is what keeps addicts drinking until they die.

Consider this from the Buddha:

He used the following parable to illustrate the attitude of those who cannot distinguish between what is useful and what is not:

"Suppose someone was hit by a poisoned arrow and his friends and relatives found a doctor able to remove the arrow. If this man were to say, 'I will not have this arrow taken out until I know whether the person who had shot it was a priest, a prince or a merchant, his name and his family. I will not have it taken out until I know what kind of bow was used and whether the arrowhead was an ordinary one or an iron one.' That person would die before all these things are ever known to him."
Originally Posted by Newatthis34
The only way to not be a drunk is not to drink.
The crux of AVRT right there.