Thread: Good stuff.
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
justme2013

I'm also very happy to have learned about AVRT. I'm on day 2 and trying to read as much as I can in these forums. It helps a lot to read so many similar stories. I'm very much a "functioning alcoholic" so the AV is constantly nagging about how it's not a problem. But the reality is, while I used to be a lively and engaging drunk, in recent years I preferred to sit around and get 'faced by myself. I'd even go to a bar alone to do it. And one was never enough. Typically 8-10 drinks to a sitting. Sounds like a problem to me, functioning or not!
Anyway, one thing I don't fully get about the AVRT philosophy is the notion that we shouldn't count how many days we have sober. Does anyone here have insight on that? Do you all not count how many days/weeks, months? I get that not counting makes the role of alcohol in our lives less significant, as it should be, but I can't help but think that counting builds confidence as we go.
As I'm writing this, I'm starting to grasp the concept a bit more. Gotta think it through. Sorry for rambling... Have a good day!