View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

Alcohol is a depressant. It feels like a solution to our depression, but in fact, it causes it. And while anti depressants help some, they're not the solution for everybody. A rope around my neck (extension cord actually) is what got me into recovery, and it took about 4 years of deep dark depression before I got that cord around my neck. Thankfully, I didn't have the guts to follow through.

I went to a detox. Got immediately into AA, and a month into sobriety I knew I wasn't going to make it. I got myself into a rehab without picking up a drink, and 28 years later I'm still sober. Without medication.

As already mentioned, not going to a rehab is most likely more dangerous to your job than going. Outside of your concerns with work, I see no good reason NOT to go to a rehab. There are laws that protect you from anyone knowing that your admitting yourself, but I don't know your circumstances, nor how your job would react to your getting help. There are hundreds of factors involved, and only you can decide what's best with that. Or give more info and let people here help you sort it out. How important is the job? Can you take a month long vacation? Are they supportive of people getting treatment for alcohol and drugs? Many places are.

Last note. When I went into the rehab there were about 32 of us there. We were told that if 2 of us stayed sober for over a year, it would be a lot. Most people had already been in rehab several times before. I was determined to have it be my first and last, and thus far I've succeeded. I was wide open to anything and everything they suggested. I listened hard, and put into action as many of the suggestions they offered that I possibly could. I walked out of the rehab with a big box full of tools for life and sobriety. It was up to me however whether I was going to use them or not. A lot of people don't. I presently have a hospital commitment where I bring AA meetings to a rehab near my house. It's sad that I can see a lot of people are going to walk right back out and do what they've always done. It doesn't have to be that way. Can be a one shot deal. I wish you the best.