Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  
BackToSquareOne

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
I agree mindfulness is as you have claimed BTSO, although with AVRT, AV is/are not irrational thoughts exactly. They are quite rational from the Beast's perspective of course. And from my own perspective, AV is my normal thoughts, feelings, images - recognised by me as Addictive Voice.

Still, AV is to be otherwise disassociated from my own thinking, and then dismissed as being un-significant after recognition.

That's interesting Robby and so true. An animals desire for food and sex are necessary for the survival of the species. In a way our primitive brains are trying to convince us that we need alcohol to survive.

Once we learn to look at thoughts as just thoughts, (as in mindfulness) we can let awareness have a go at the thoughts and decide what to do with them. I don't know that it matters that much if we label the drinking thoughts as rational or not as long as awareness chooses not to attach any importance to them. I guess tho that from an AVRT perspective there would be that difference.