View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Razorandblade

That's great! I too feel like something "clicked". I am a binge drinker. I would down a bottle or more of wine in one night while my son (9 years old) was asleep. I drank to my fear of being alone. The first couple of glasses was fun. Euphoric even. Then I would drink till I fell asleep. Next morning I was hungover, still functioning, working and mothering. I felt cloudy, bloated, tired and depressed. I didn't drink every night. Just one or two nights on the weekends. I imagined I was not an alcoholic. Alcoholics drink every night and go through detox if they quit right? Not in my case. I had enough. I had my last drink was Feb.5th 2013. I had stopped going to bars a couple months prior, and was cutting down significantly. I broke it off with my boyfriend of 4 years. He was my enabler, as I was his.

What I'm saying is, being a mom is tough! I have to say I enjoy it more now and have the patience and energy to put into parenting. I don't want my son to be in Al Anon one day, or think that abusing alcohol is normal. I don't like one drink. I like 5 drinks!

I am excited for the future! Learning new things and taking life in! No more numbness! I too have a new addiction: Hot Tea....I work out at least 30 mins a day (for me) and attend meetings when I can. I come here to read stories like yours and it feels great to know we aren't alone or ashamed of having problems with alcohol, co dependency or whatever is holding us back from living our real lives. Thank you for your story.