View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Garen

Merely tossing a couple bottles of beer at a game would not satisfy me, it would only be a teaser. There is no desire at all to moderate - it's an all or nothing deal. I choose nothing. Being able to remember the game, and walking out of the game when it's over with some dignity trumps only being able to remember fuzzy bits n' pieces and then stumbling out drunk.

At first I was confused between the two choices. I began to study addiction, read a few books (including RR), and it began to make more sense; I realized I didn't really ever want to drink. So I just started getting honest with people around me. Went to my doctor and had an honest conversation... she wanted me to check straight in to a 30-day rehab thing and live there 30 days. Well, I told her that really wasn't necessary. Then she made me to go AA which was totally not for me. But the honest conversation I had with her really helped to solidify my commitment to breaking this habit. Thinking about where I'd be today if I never started drinking is a great motivator to stay sober. Maybe I'd have a wife, kids, a better education, a better job, a better credit score....

There is still plenty of time.