Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ntmu

Hi,

I do not know if I can help you, but you just helped me.
I just realized that I had given up other addictive consumptions as well. Junk food, meat, hard drugs (I'm kinda afraid to talk about this here yet).
But the drugs are the best example probably, I was more or less experimenting with them, but they became addicting very fast and one of them was definitely getting bad enough to where I knew I should be getting help, but could never talk to someone about that.
Without rambling on about the whole thing, I got to a point with each of these things where I said, "that's too addicting for me, I can't have that", almost in a way where I'm offering it a compliment as well, as not to seem too self-righteous. "I like it too much".
And that's worked, I got hooked on some very addictive substances, but with respect not to the extent of many people out there, but
alcohol -yes, without a doubt.
My alcoholism has trashed my life for almost 20 years and I continue to love it.
I need to say, "that's too addictive for me, I can't have it", "I love it too much" & let it go before it starts.
As some of the other comments said, "I will never drink again, I will never change my mind" - that will never work for me.
Trying to stop my mind from changing is impossible, but I will also never get a new one.
I need a quick retort towards my substances to change my mind and my direction, as well.
I hope I remember I wrote this, it will help me a ton going forward. hmmm...