Old 02-02-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by nycguy83 View Post
True, you have to pick your battles. There's a time and place for healthy debate.

But a specifically-secular recovery forum is as good a place as any to express one's dissatisfaction with the faith-based addiction treatment modality that is currently wildly dominant in the good 'ol US of A.
Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Some say, "Don't bother them, after all, to each his own". I say that's bollux. A belief in God quite frankly insults the intelligence of all humanity, and I see this terrible crutch being used as an excuse and a solution day after day. It's quite frankly embarrassing to hear people talk this way, and I'm sad to see it so prevalent in a community that could benefit so much by turning to logic instead of fantasy.
I'm not American myself, although I'm married to an American, and we have and keep property in both the US and Canada. I like the USA. Melissa is likely to become a Canadian citizen eventually, since we've chosen to live in Canada. I'm undecided about my becoming a US citizen.

You know, when I look at most any US minted coin, I find the motto "In God we trust". This has been on most coins since 1864. And it became the official motto of the United States since 1956.

God is not mentioned in the US constitution however... interesting.

God is indeed mentioned in the Declaration of Independence though... even more interesting.

I guess my point is that secularism is a relatively new movement historically and its no wonder the general environment for most anything to do with society machinations, including mainstream recovery, is God centered rather then not.

Me, I'm a Christian by faith, although my recovery is secular, so no problemo. Go figure, lol. I wasn't always Christian though, being agnostic back when, and so I have empathy and experience with and for both schools of thought.

I enjoy keeping an open and intelligent mind, along with a forthright and cheerful attitude. A mind is a terrible thing to waste, as we all know from our own undeniable experiences. Live and let live.