View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tomkatike

Accelerating Disease

I had it all on the surface..A very high paying job, great family and a beautiful wife...Behind the scenes my life was falling apart due to my addiction to alcohol. I had been trying to quit drinking off and on for about 6 years staying sober a max of 15 days at a time. I was drinking about a fifth or more per day after work at home and more when traveling. I was Useless to family and my work place. I traveled for a living getting drunk every day while flying around the country was easy. I was having health issues with my liver and asked for help from a doctor for the first time in 20 years. I was going to detox at home and was prescribed Valium. I was watching my kids while my wife went to her weekly dance classes. That night I found out Valium and Alcohol do not mix. I was drinking and working in my home office when I passed out due to the mixture of alcohol and Valium crashing face first into the hardwood floors of my office. This is where my 4 yo, 9 yo and wife found me in a pool of blood and unresponsive. Fortunately my wife had forgot her dance shoes that night and came home 20 minutes after she left to get them. I was taken to the hospital via an ambulance for an overdose. I recovered in the hospital over the weekend and my office was none wiser. Was this enough to quit?? NO. Continued drinking for another month even heavier than before. All day and All night. One day I was drunk at my home office and work called.I was supposed to be off so I had been drinking especially heavy .They could tell I was drunk and we got into it. My wife over heard the conversation and stepped in speaking to my company and explaining the problem. The next day I checked into rehab. I am now 10 months sober, fired from my job and the happiest I have been in a very long time. My life is getting back on track and everyday is a gift from God. I have a new job, renewed relationship with my family and wife. I have learned so much in the last ten months, thrown many challenges and renewed my relationship with God. I am a truly blessed person.