Thread: First step
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EnnuiStasis

Well, I'm guessing this is going to sound like a weird dilemma. I'd been tracking my husband's alcohol intake before I spoke to him last night ~ so I'd have answers to my own questions/concerns and so I could refute accurately any arguments of "just two drinks" and such if that came up.

Sun. through Tues. were pretty light days... about 3-4 shots. It worked out that he'd just poured his first drink when I opened the conversation last night--about 3oz of vodka--and he didn't have any more afterward. Our agreement was that he would NOT stop the alcohol without medical supervision. Good grief ~ this is a 38 year habit! I noticed tonight that he didn't drink at all. As much as I'd like to be happy about that, I'm more concerned that he's going to try going cold turkey and just white knuckle it, which could have serious health implications.

He and the doctor have been friends for a very long time, and now I'm wondering if *this* is why the doc told me to wait for them to talk before I said anything? I know my husband is concerned about the implications an "out" alcohol (or any other type) problem could be for his career... but I'd like to think he has enough sense to not put that above his health. The doctor can be very helpful and discreet at the same time.

I wonder if he's intending to try to prove to himself (and me?) that he can do this on his own? Or am I just getting spastic for no good reason?

Everything I've read says that withdrawal from alcohol takes a harder hit on the body each time you white-knuckle then start drinking again, with each withdrawal being more dangerous--if not supervised and done intelligently. Straight up, I'm scared.

I had a close and dear relative die while trying to get sober unsupervised--and he was 15 years younger than my husband is now.

I guess I need to talk to him about this.