View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
PohsFriend

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
But when a alcoholic/addict commits crimes against society shouldn't they be "locked away" to protect society?? An armed robbery for drug money is still a armed robbery that hurts society. Tax drugs & make narcotics legal, send'em to treatment ect... are probably good ideas but the problem is too complex in this country. IMO the US government can be the addicts biggest enabler. SSI, food stamps, section 8, methadone clinics, free rehabs ect... are all examples of catering rules to a selected minority of the population.
No argument there.... commit armed robbery and yo arse belongs in a cage on the charge of armed robbery.

Get caught with one gram too many of coke or meth and go to prison??? The cost for a prisoner is around 120-130 per day... about what some inpatient rehabs cost. Thing is, while in prison the addict is attending graduate school for criminals.

DD's plan is better than mine. Mine was to quit screwing around in the war on drugs... talk about a Charlie Foxtrot.

My Plan: Catch someone with drugs and they have two options:
A. Firing Squad - today
B. Reveal your supplier and testify

It would be messy at first but that's how I'd get to the real criminals - the folks who bring it in, terrorize their own countries, intimidate judges etcetera.
Selling illegal drugs? Crime
Using illegal drugs? Stupid or insane (addiction == insanity)

We don't lock up crazy people unless they represent a danger to society.

To your point about government enablement I am right there with you. I find it unfathomable that anyone objects to making government aid contingent upon passing a drug test. ...Those paying taxes usually have to pass one to get their job. I'm not saying to allow those who fail to starve, but providing a means by which an addict can receive passive income so that they can use in peace without hitting rock bottom? Duh. I have heard many alcohlics say that the only instinct they had strong enough to get them into recovery was their survival instinct. If they could have remained safe and warm and fed while using they never would have gotten well.

...The current POTUS has vowed to stop treating drugs as a criminal issue and start treating it as a public health issue focused on treatment and prevention rather than enforcement and incarceration. Oh crap, I just had the terrifying realization that he and I agree on something. Must call Pshrink.
Who would believe our folks in DC would question a program that has cost a trillion dollars, increased drug related violence and achieved none of it's goals... you'd think that would be memorialized with a staue or something ;-)

No worries, once I become king, this problem and others will go away ;-)