Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
EnnuiStasis

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
I was one that loved to read about others just having enough and stopping their addictive behavior. People stop addictions all the time and without the recoveryisms that are so typically applied to alcohol.

Smoking kills more people, and cost more in healthcare dollars, than all other recreational drugs (including alcohol) combined. That is from a NIH study that one can find by googling. I think the damage of smoking is downplayed especially in recovery circles. And how any medically approved threatment would allow or even encourage (one addiction at a time don't ya know) people to continue to smoke is appalling. Ever see someone die from emphysema? I have.

To me I stopped both these behaviors when I decided I was done. And I am so very thankful that I didn't believe I was powerless and that I chose to put the bottle down.
I've actually had several doctors, in several different areas of practice, over the last 14 years tell me NOT to quit smoking ~ and to not even try. There are some actual health benefits to it, though of course those are downplayed hard. My father died from COPD. It was an slow and ugly thing.

Do you also consider caffiene a recreational drug?