Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
TheEnd
High on Life

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Hi all -

Been frustrated lately here at SR. Particularly the frighteningly abundant crowd who chime in with solutions like "Just put it in God's Hands" and "The Lord will look over you". Similarly, I find it just as annoying to hear it when someone says "My husband has lost the Lord and started drinking again", and then in flow the responses.

I find religion to be a terribly infantile affliction. I have not believed in God since I was able to think for myself (around 7 or 8 probably). After 7 months sober, I am flabbergasted and disappointed at all of the God talk in meetings and on boards like this. I am trying to continue to find rational thinkers and science-based information to help guide me through my recovery. Seems to be severely lacking.

Some say, "Don't bother them, after all, to each his own". I say that's bollux. A belief in God quite frankly insults the intelligence of all humanity, and I see this terrible crutch being used as an excuse and a solution day after day. It's quite frankly embarrassing to hear people talk this way, and I'm sad to see it so prevalent in a community that could benefit so much by turning to logic instead of fantasy.

I hate having to always sit on my hands when someone says "Just trust God" at meetings or here on SR. It's terrible, terrible advice. They might as well say "Just trust in the Frog-Unicorn, it will guide you". It's akin to saying to just do nothing and hope for the best.

Since I find this advice so harmful, I want to at least reach out from time to time with a link or passage from an atheist perspective that might help someone. Unfortunately it never works, I'm brow-beaten for it and told to come here and post my kooky thoughts instead.

How can I take any advice from my community seriously when it's all so polluted with ancient superstitions? Aaargh. Frustrated.
Those are pretty harsh words. Why do other people's beliefs bother you so much? Are your beliefs the only ones that matter? The only thing that is infantile here is the fact you haven't learned to get along with others and respect their differences. That is something you learn in elementary school. You may see something, I may see something different, it doesn't mean either one of us is right or wrong. Just something to think about.