Old 01-26-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
MrTumble

One year free from the smokes, I consider quiting as being my second best achievement in life, thats how difficult quiting was for me and how much I wanted to quit.

Im using the same line of thinking to help me quit drinking, I.e. weighing what I can potentially gain from drinking versus what I risk losing from continued drinking.

The one aspect of AA that I very much disliked was that it wouldnt allow me to take the approach I took for quiting smokes and to use it with drink. I dont want to be powerless, I want to gain strength from quitting booze, I want to feel that I recognised the damage I was doing and now im going to modify my behaviour so I can address my own concerns about where alcohol has taken me and will take me in the future.

In some way I have made smoking a monster of cancer and ill health, it scared me and i allowed it to --- drink scares me stupid by the loss of responsibility and irrational thought it causes.

I guess these are all what might be considered motivation for quitting. And along with the motivation, I have a single "method" and that is to quite simply not drink!

im hoping my approach works, it worked for quitting the ciggies so far.