Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Ananda

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Differences?

Yeah, for me, not so much differences exactly...

I eventually quit smoking cigs for the same reason as I originally quit alcohol: it was killing me.
Without the death-in-my-face action from drugs/alcohol, and ciggs, I would NEVER have EVER quit. Quitting became 'seriously important' to me only when dying as an insane drunk / loser was pretty well on the menu as the only entree being served, lol...

So I quit drugs (1978/79) while still drinking, quit alcohol (1981) while still smoking ciggs, and quit ciggs last (2005).
Robby,

I understand that this is how it works for many, but I want to put my expereince in which is a bit different (not more valid or anything...just a different space people come from)....

I almost died twice from my alchoholism...it really didn't get me any progress in staying sober...Not sure what that means...but my first thoughts are every one dies from something...but yet...the alchoholic death I faced was going to be a horrible one...it just didn't matter. Although there was an element of "not wanting to die" there was something more needed for me to find the periods of sobriety I have had. I think it is a personal thing and I think whatever will help you on the path is great.

I'm the only person in 2 generations (siblings, parents, aunts, grandparrents, grand uncles and aunts) who hasn't had cancer. But I know with alchohol the idea that I was gonna be dead in a year or a day never really made me able to be sober...

If fear of death could keep me sober I would not have drank for at least the last 7 years. I've had sobriety in that time...but it never came after a near death expereince...

For me hope and belief I can somehow be "ok" without the drug (nicotine, alchohol, speed, caffine) has been the biggest help in making it through to detox and start the path...

Just some thoughts

Nands