Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

The end, and others, yes it is that simple to quit for all. When you said that you didn't have to chang to quit smoking that is exactly how I felt about quitting drinking. See I was never a drunk exvept accidentally, and that occasionally. I drank beer as others drink coke. Then I retired and every day was Saturday so I could start at noon. I was controlled only in that I liked a gentle buzz but not the slurry feeling and stumbling loss of motor control. So I was drinking two beers an hour from noon to midnight. That is a case of beer plus, with no drunk, just a gentle buzz. If I started to go overboard I switched to mixed drinks with just a tiny bit of scotch, a full glass of water and lime on ice. Once I dropped back to a buzz I relaxed again. This was not self control, I actually hated the drunk feeling. I stopped drinking when I had serious life decisions or problems to resolve. That did not make me superior to anybody. I found my tolerance had built to the point that it took a lot of beer wine and scotch daily just to stay somewhat functional. But I never ran away from problems with drinking, passed out in public, had blackouts, or used drinking to self medicate physical or emotional, real or imagined, deficits.

I was an addict to the substance and only wanted off it long enough to take it from there. A jump start if you will. I have never been shy, had social issues, failed in marriage or career, or met any problem I could not overcome, adapt to, or prevail over.

My body knows alcohol now and would adapt like it did when after quitting for 18 months, I tried one cigarette thinking I would be able to control it now, and was back to my then two packs a day within a week.

Yes, like non drinkers there are alcoholics that have personal, social, emotional problems. And there are alcoholics that have no issues other than self indulgance gone awry. I never let alcohol make problems for me. Granted I could and did retire early to be able to relax and continue drinking my way. Not because I could not do good work, but because it became inconvenient.

In other words there are alcoholics whose only problem is alcohol. Having removed that, I am free. I can choose to go back, but why?

But that is me. I see many who say they had to drop their pride and ego to be able to quit. I say I am completely in control of my sobriety, I am under no influence to take a drink. Nasty, smelly, do it in the dark alcohol? I am too proud to ever drink again. I have always liked me, and others. Others like me. Some don't.