View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

I came into AA already a believer in a higher power. I believe that's what got me there. I do not believe, nor have I ever believed, that there is a human like figure of any sort floating around somewhere that is going to make me drink, or not drink. I believe I have free will, and can pick up a beer right now should I choose to do so. I'm not, and I have no desire to.

My higher power (which I call god only for lack of better word) gives me the strength and guidance I need in order to do the things I need to do to keep learning, growing, and staying sober. Understanding and living the 12 steps has helped me incorporate my beliefs into a very full and happy sober life.

I don't think many people believe that god literally keeps them sober, though I can't speak for everyone. You might want to read through the bigbook, attend some step meetings, and hang around a while so you can gain a better understanding on what's going on. And in time you can also figure out who the nut jobs are, and who ya want to be listenin to. Best of luck.