Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
How much effort do the successfully sober people on the secular forum put into achieving and maintaining sobriety? How has this changed over time?
I think quantifying 'effort' is a difficult task at best. Everyone has their own experiences with what creates quality effort when applied to having successful outcomes with our challenges.

Over time my effort has absolutely changed from early on, first month or so, fighting for my very survival; to sobriety now being simply something that takes no more effort then adequately feeding, sheltering, and clothing myself might take in any ordinary day.

I'm not a slave to my sobriety, never was, never will be. Sobriety is an ends to a means for me. Sobriety is not the goal in itself, but rather the important entrance requirement to enjoy the freedoms I heartily desire and essentially need to be the whole and real me I best want to be here in the now moment.

I don't like problems becoming so big they take on nightmare proportions in my life. I enjoy my challenges being tailored to my abilities to get the job done with success and excitement. Any 'problem' can be broken down into smaller more consistent sized challenges which can be managed out and dealt with, is my everyday expererience.

Maintenance requirement for me is actually more like my knowing I firmly already have in place the footings and foundation corner stones of past experiences to now 'forget about' maintenance, if you will. My sobriety is a done deal. I'll never drink again. I'll never change my mind. There is really nothing to maintain -- except my overall quality of life needs me doing the right thing day in and day out everlasting for me to enjoy the successes of my efforts at simply being the me I am today.

Its my life to choose for better or worse when at the end of every day I judge if enough of all my bells got rung, or am I left wanting. I'm only required to be held responsible to my own dreams alone -- and not my collective justified nightmares. This ain't Kansas, Toto... hahaha.

Effort is as effort does...