Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bob22

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Bob, don't panic about the way you are feeling. Tbh I have suffered from depression and stuff since I quit. It has been pretty bad in some ways but I have been so relieved to be sober that I haven't let it get to me too much. I saw a doc the other day because it is nearly 11 months for me and I still haven't improved much. I have to say the response was quite a relief. He said he wasn't surprised I felt this way at all, that it is common to feel incredibly depressed after overcoming such a huge problem, even this far down the line. What it means is that I am actually processing it. It's a good thing. You can't expect to drink for over a decade and come out all sunshine and roses. And this isn't how you were before you drank. Hell, before I drank I was a 12 yr old girl running about the countryside in pigtails... That ain't who I am now. This is the fallout I'm afraid. But it is positive. You are healing, give it time. And do not hesitate to take medication to help you cope. I flat out refused to do that when I quit. I saw it as a cop out or replacing one thing with another. In retrospect I should have done it. You have your whole life to be sober, there is no harm in making the transition a little easier on yourself. Hope you feel better soon, but if you don't, don't worry about it x
I really appreciate it Hypochondriac! Thank you!