View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
jerect
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by dasiydoc View Post
Yes !! I can relate to that. And part of my boyfriends plan was to start on some low grade anti-anxiety meds a couple weeks ago. That is also a long story, but he is mixing it with coke, and now that he has started this binging, its insane. Thats what I mean, by the addict part of his brain has no logic, and it is so much stronger than the normal part of him, or he would not be doing this.
Addicts and logic don't mix... They don't see past the present moment where they are getting their fix... They will set future dates to stop often just to get their well meaning loved ones off of their back and maybe somewhere deep inside they want to stop and they intend to stop but without a strong plan for recovery and a 360 degree lifestyle change the addiction will always win out.. Putting down the coke is only half the battle for your ABF.. In order to stay clean and sober and live a productive life he must change every aspect of his life, his friends, the places he hangs out, his relationship with his higher power etc.. This does not happen over night, it is a very long and daunting process with more then a few stumbles along the way...

Daisy, what are you doing to take care of you? If you are like I was you are hell bent on getting him clean and his addiction is consuming you.. Please don't make the mistake I did and completely lose yourself in his addiction.. Those are 5 years that I cannot get back ever.. If you haven't already, get yourself to some meetings, do something each day that nurtures you and takes care of your sanity and well being.. Trust me when I say that it's all too easy to be just overly consumed with what the addict is doing and completely neglect ourselves...