Old 01-20-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mandi333

Thanks to everyone who posted. I don't necessarily believe in the first year should be the 'head over heels' year. Not at my age anyway! I'm passed that. In fact, wary of it. I believe two recovering alcoholics living together will take work and that they both need outside help. We had some progress over the last week. He has sought help and is practicing some humility around that. He has not been in a relationship for some time and his words 'i'm frozen' ring true. Sometimes it is hard for an alcoholic to connect to their feelings. He seems to think that is what is happening. We are in a more loving place now and I have some insight into what is really going on with him. This may/can lead to a greater intimacy. That's what it's about isn't it? I don't believe in cutting and running (I have done plenty of that in my time) but staying to work at it and then making a conscious, well informed decision about whether the relationship is working for me (with guidance) and to accept whether it may or may not be working for him. It's all learning and growing. And that is what recovery is about. I will continue to live my life and do the things I need to do to nourish my soul. That is all that is in my power. But I will not run anymore at the first sign of trouble. It is heartful to hear that relationships can work out even when it seems dire to begin with. Thanks to the above post!