View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

I was so lost within my alcoholism when I finally quit for that last time in my supervised detox. I didn't know right from wrong, real from fantasy, sane from crazy. I had already been tagged by the mental hospital a few years earlier with being chronically schizophrenic. Serious stuff. I knew from my experiences I was far from right in my head. Drinking myself to an early death (I was 24) kinda proved I was losing it big time. I just couldn't stay quit though...

In the final detox I created the decision I didn't care anymore how I got sober or what sobriety was gonna mean to me. I just accepted the simple truth I was done with being drunk because I didn't want to die drunk. I put everything into just not ever getting drunk ever again, and I did that by following thru on my detox, doing my 90 day rehab, doing the AA program, doing therapy, reaching out to new friends and family...

What really kept me going though was my newly created desire to never get drunk again no matter what. Everything else just became more ways to get what I wanted: staying free from being drunk.

The first week was horrible. The second better. By the third I knew I was getting it on. By the fourth I was 'drinking real freedom' and that was the end of my alcoholic drinking, my thirst for living finally satisfied by not drinking. And getting on with living my new life.

Originally Posted by Ananda
I really don't care what method helps me...I only care about finding a way to get off and stay off. The Dr. is working on a follow up care program for me after the detox, an insurance issue...but we have backup plans if that one doesn't work.

You can and will do this, ((Nands)). You've said you too don't care how you get sober... just getting it done is enough!

I believe in YOU!