Thread: Alcohol pushers
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by PohsFriend View Post
I'm actually thinking about how to handle some things when we go out. If you flip the wine glasses upside down on your table it's a signal to the server not to offer you alcohol...

I figure if we are out and anyone asks why we are not drinking I will just smile and say "because I like it a little too much" or something to shut them up because Poh is still uncomfortable with those situations.
I usually just smile and say, "Iced tea, please." If anyone asks if I'm sure I don't want anything else I just say, "I'm good, thanks." On the VERY rare occasions people ask "why" (whatever possesses people to ask, I wonder?), I just say, "I don't drink" or "I don't drink anymore" (depending on whether the person previously knew me to drink). And finally, for the terminally dense who then go on to ask WHY I don't drink (or why I quit), I simply say, "I decided it isn't good for me." Who can argue with that? Who can draw any inferences from that? If they conclude I might be an alcoholic, well, they might be right. Or I might just be watching my weight or watching my money or recently have converted to Islam or Mormonism. Nobody's business.

I've never had it get beyond that point. If it did, I might have to demonstrate that I can still THROW a drink...

But seriously, in four and a half years I've had people ask why I'm not drinking maybe three or four times. It's a way bigger deal in our own heads than anyone else's.