View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
LoveMeNow
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
Here's another example of what he gets upset about and considers me too sensitive about. He likes to tease me about how I open packages. I just tear into stuff and many times the chips go flying or the bag won't close properly, etc. When we first got married, money was tight so he used to get on my case about how wasteful it was to open packages like that and how much it costs to replace stuff when it gets stale. In present day he's now upset with me because he feels he can't joke about my package opening issue because I take his joking too seriously. Well, heck yes, I do. The original intent behind his comments was to chastise me for being wasteful but now it's OK to be wasteful? I can't keep up.

Anyway, I just feel like I'm constantly being a detective. Trying to figure out the intent, etc. And, now, if I tell him that some of his comments don't bother me he'll accuse me of lying and just covering up my real feelings so I feel like I'm always working from a disadvantage here.
Liz, I have to tell you.........my husband has "package opening issues" too and it drives me crazy. It can just be one of those husband/wife issues. I don't close the cabinet doors tightly so they swing open and that drives him crazy too. When he rips something open, I always tell him that he will find every cabinet door open next time he comes in the kitchen. Or just moving his stapler on his desk makes him nuts, so I threatened that. Sometimes, it is in fun and sometimes its not. It is just how big of a deal I make it that becomes the point. I would rather be happy then annoyed and try to keep that in mind.