Thread: Alcohol pushers
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Audrey1

I think there's an element of truth in people thinking (on a subconscious level) they can get the girl, live the good life, be good looking... if they drink the products advertised.

My RABF told me yesterday that he doesn't feel tempted to drink when he sees other people drinking (not sure exactly how much truth there is in that one!), but that watching people drink on TV is quite hard. I think it might have something to do with the fact the people he knows who drink have big problems in their lives and drink to get drunk long after it's anything to do with being social. Being sober now he can see what I've seen about these pallid and emaciated people for a long time... the depressing nature of their drinking. Not a good advertisement for drinking.

People on TV, on the other hand, are always healthy and happy. Nothing bad comes of their drinking, much like those of us who are able to drink socially and in moderation. Ever see an ad where the main characters are drunk and silly, jaundiced and abusive?

Anyway, I had wanted to introduce him to the joys of Mad Men (we need a new series), but realise now it's not a good idea on account of the fact basically ever scene involves heavy scotch drinking!