View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by dasiydoc View Post
My boyfriend set a date to stop. The 22nd. Its on a Tuesday, but then worked out so he has Thursday thru Sunday off work.

He narrowed his doctors down to two, but hasn’t called either one. He says he is afraid, and that once he calls and admits he has a problem then it will be real. All I could say was, I knew when he was ready, he would do it.

He is telling me that while cocaine doesn’t have much physical withdrawal, I might as well realize the mental and emotional withdrawals will take weeks. He is expecting bad anxiety (this is what has bothered him with his attempts to stop before) and he expects to be moody, mean. And he is afraid that he will barely be able to work and deal with people, and may have nothing left to be patient with me. He is afraid he will take out his frustration on me because Im the only one who knows whats going on. We talked about it, and he tells me if I want to put things on hold until he gets past some of it, then he understands; neither of us wants to damage our relationship long term. But I don’t know if this is something I should really worry about. I don’t want to be a baby and not able to tolerate a bad mood.

I could really use some help from people who have gone through this part. Ive book read, but I don’t have anyone with experience to talk to, and Id like to know what Im in for. I don’t get rattled by a lot of things, but I have read here and some of the behaviors of addicts or those beginning recovery are awful and are a totally unacceptable way to treat someone.

That’s it. Don’t know if he will really be able to do this. I think he is serious in it, but that doesn’t mean he wont fail. Im trying to stay grounded. Also, Im not changing my schedule around to help him or anything.
Remember...judge him by his deeds, not by his words.

ZoSo