View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dollydo
I'm no angel!

When I first discovered that my exabf was a drug addict, I believed that I could handle the situation and get better on my own, after all my mother was an alcoholic and I handled that, I got better...didn't I?

No, it was all my convaluted thinking, all part of my disorder. I was sick, as sick as the addicts themselves. I needed help, and I got it, meetings, a sponsor plus therapy as a JIC.

Am I cured? No...will I ever be...probably not, however, that is my goal, to finally be free of the boat anchor called codependency.

I personally feel that meetings really helped me to find a starting point. It took me awhile to find a real proactive group, but I didn't give up, I just kept searching for the group that fit me and I finally found the right group, off I went on my path to become a healthier new me!

I guess my point is that, in my case, the issues ran much deeper, they were buried deep within me. It wasn't about the ex, he was just the trigger. The root of my issues were my childhood.

We all have setbacks, it is not so much the circumstance(s) we are involved in...it is how we handle them, our awarness and the ability to move forward in the right direction, to me, this is the key.

Sending support your way...as ever...Dolly